Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help needed wiring a light switch

Posted by mattinnes1234 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 16:30

help needed wiring up light switch
Hi all, I have a light switch that needs wiring. It is for a landing light. There is a switch downstairs that works, but it is all isolated at the moment. , but the one upstairs which switches the same light is not wired. Here is a photo,

On the switch, top is common, left = l1 and right = l2.
On the wiring, you can see on the left cable consists of red , black and earth and the cable on right has blue , red , yellow and earth ( joined to the earth of other cable.

Could some kind soul tell me what wire should go where ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help needed wiring a light switch

I assume this wiring uses a UK color code that is completely different from the US. We could try to translate, but I don't know how to match one wiring convention with another.

Most boxes in the US with a 3 way switch would have one cable with black-white-ground (the same as most other wiring in the house), and one cable with black-white-red-ground. The red is the extra wire used for 3 way switch.

You may want to take a look at this web site's examples of different 3-way switch scenarios. As you can see, there are quite a few possibilities for the wiring of a 3 way switch.

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch.htm

Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here