Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

How to define spaces in open floor plan to follow code?

Stacey Collins
10 years ago

Hi,
My mom and I are re-wiring her very old home as part of a major renovation. It is a small cape and we're removing some walls. per the attached plan, the kitchen is open to a small room that she will be using as both a breakfast area (close to the kitchen) and sitting room (towards the front door.)

Now that there's this whole AFCI for living spaces requirement, I'm nervous about how these spaces are defined.
For instance, in my current circuit plan, I have two 20A GFCI-protected branch circuits for the kitchen (in addition to dedicated DW/Disposal, MW, and lighting circuits.) On one of the small applicance circuits is the fridge, undercabinet light, and a single duplex receptacle on the wall next to the fridge in the open space: that's where the kitchen table will go. I was considering all of that to be "kitchen/breakfast" and the rest of the room to be "den". As such, the rest of the room would require AFCI breaker.

But where is the line drawn between the two "rooms"? Should I maybe consider the entire space to be "kitchen/breakfast"? In which case would the general use circuit supplying the rest of the room use a plain breaker rather than AFCI? And GFCI receptacles?

Open floor plans confuse things!

Thanks for your thoughts,
Stacey

Comments (2)