Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n00bhomeowner

Track lights and ACFI

n00bhomeowner
13 years ago

I have track lighting in my kitchen and when i turn it on, it trips the breaker for my computer room upstairs. After the computer room breaker is tripped (and thus no pwr in that room), the track lighting stays on, so i know the track lighting isn't on the same breaker as the computer room. now with the track lights still on and the breaker tripped for the computer room, if i reset/flip the breaker for the computer room back on, the computer room pwr comes back on and the track lighting and the computer room both have power with no problems. now if i flip off the breaker for the track lighting (and all my other kitchen lights) while the track lighting is still on and then flip the breaker back on, the computer room and track lighting once again exist in harmony. wtf is going on? i will love you to death if you can explain to a n00b why these magical things are happening.

originally, i called a tech out because the track light wasn't coming on correctly - it would flicker or not come on - and it would trip the computer room breaker. when the tech came, this is what he wrote on his service invoice "tracklighting loose connection tightened this also fixed breaker being it is an AFCI". All he did was tighten a screw on the track lighting itself (the loose connection) so that the lights now come on properly, and then flip the breaker for the computer room back on. with the power working for both the computer room and the track lighting, he left with us all believing the problem was fixed. the next time i turned the track lighting on, however (and as described above), i found it was still tripping the computer room breaker as before. what could he have been referring to when he said "also fixed breaker being it is an AFCI". does "fixed" breaker just mean he flipped/reset the computer room breaker? b/c that's all he did and only my bedrooms (one of which is the "computer room") have ACFI breakers.

Comments (3)