Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sub panel, two ground paths?

Posted by lostmotion (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 15:12

Greetings,

I have a sub in an out bldg. The neutral/ground bonding screw was removed with a dedicated grounding strip screwed to the cabinet and cabled to a copper earth stake. My cheapest and safest choice for a 50A service cable was 2-4 Al "mobile home cable." I could not buy 2-3 cable so I had a grounding conductor (green stripe) that I thought was not necessary. Untwisting that strand to get rid of it for over 80' of cable was not an attractive option.

A guy I worked with has a son who is a journeyman electrician so I tapped his brain. He said it is now considered okay to connect the grounding cable between the main breaker and sub cabinets as long as the sub has an earth ground, so that's what I did.

Everything I seen on the subject though forbids a grounding cable between a main and sub. Is there a revision on this?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sub panel, two ground paths?

It might help to take a look at this URL http://www.allsafehomeinspection.com/Inspecting the Subpanel.pdf

You can't bond the neutral bus to the box like you do in a main panel, but its okay to have a ground wire connecting the ground bus on the main to the ground bus on the sub panel. However, the sub-panel in a separate building must also have its own separate grounding rods. The key point is the separation of neutral and ground at the sub panel, and the only place they are connected is at the main panel.

Bruce

o

Bruce, That is exactly how I have it wired. Thanks for the confirmation that I have done it right.
Jim

o

"Everything I seen on the subject though forbids a grounding cable between a main and sub. Is there a revision on this? "

Amazing! Then everything you've seen is VERY wrong.
It was NEVER forbidden to run an equipment ground to a sub-panel, and in most cases it is/was required. This goes back as far I have ever known.

Just where are you getting your information from???

In fact, the way you wanted to do it was definitely wrong. A ground rod is NOT a substitute for an equipment grounding conductor. They are two VERY different things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here