Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PVC Electrical Box Questions

Posted by jalbers (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 14:51

I want to use 3/4" PVC conduit horizontally in my pole barn. I plan to run individual #12 THHN wires inside of the conduit for a run of 20 amp receptacles. The reason for the PVC conduit or conduit in general is that I want to protect the wiring from rodents chewing it up. I would prefer to work with plastic conduit and not metal. When I go to Lowes and other similar places, all I can find in the way of PVC electrical boxes are the ones that have holes in the top and bottom for the PVC conduit. I want my duplex receptacles to run up and down, not sideways. All I am finding are boxes that are designed for the conduit to be running vertical and not horizontal. I need PVC conduit compatible boxes that have holes on the sides and not on the top and bottom so that I can run the PVC conduit horizontally. Do boxes like this exist? If they do, where can I find them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PVC Electrical Box Questions

Try an actual electrical supply house.

o

Use two-gang boxes. Or install the boxes horizontally. Running conductors in the sides of single gang boxes leaves no room for the device, such as a receptacle. You will not find a single gang box metal or non-metallic, with knockouts on the side of the narrow dimension.

o

I was actually planning on having boxes containing two duplex outlets each. In other words each box would have 4 places to plug something in. Do they make double gang PVC conduit compatible boxes with holes on the side?

o

Like bus said, just turn the boxes 180 degrees. A two-gang box is square.

o
RE: PVC Electrical Box Questions*

Sorry, meant 90 degrees.

o

"You will not find a single gang box metal or non-metallic, with knockouts on the side of the narrow dimension."

I still have plenty of single gang expandable boxes with knockouts on all four sides.

The built in cable clamps are on the smaller dimension (top and bottom typically) while an outside cable clamp must be used on the knockouts on the long sides (left and right typically).

o

I confess to not having seen gangable boxes with knockouts on the sides.

o

The knockouts are towards the back on each of the 'expandable' sides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here