Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aluminum wiring question?

Posted by vgkg (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 14:50

Hi there,

I've been meaning to post this question for some time now but always too busy ya know. A few years ago I removed a very small laundry room that was added to the house back in the 1970s. I've since the added a bigger room with up-to-date copper wiring. In the process I found that the main ele line feeding the old room was aluminum. I saved some of the wire which has the following specs/info on it:

E 18679 (UL) 12-2 AL Triple-E Alloy with Ground Type NM 600V

I was hoping someone here might know if this particular Al wire is ok? What makes me ask is the part "Triple-E Alloy" which might mean that it's not 100% Al but a mixture of more acceptable metals. Apparently when the old addition was added on to the house they replaced some older wiring too with the same type. Mostly the entire house is copper, just 3 lines of this type AL which feed low use outlets. I have replaced these outlets with Al friendly ones.

Thanks for any info!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aluminum wiring question?

As long as all the terminations (outlets and any junctions) are done with the appropriate, rated for Aluminum devices, this should not be an issue. Triple-E is still aluminum for as the things the code cares about. It has a small amount of Iron added, primarily for heat stability. It means it will hold up better under certain connections.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here