Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eave outlets - how many

Posted by JuanT81 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 14:48

We are building a new home and would like to add some outlets on the eaves of the house for when we do Christmas lights.

How many outlets would I need. I know this really depends on how much Christmas lights we will be plugging into it etc. But I don't even know where to start or what to look at to determine this. I am sure there is voltage limitations for each outlets. I was thinking 2 on the sides of the houses and 4 in the front.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eave outlets - how many

Seriously, we know less about your house than we do. In fact, we know NOTHING about your house.
Only you can answer your questions.

There are amperage limitations to circuits, not voltage. With Christmas lights though you'd be best served with a few 20A circuits spread around the outside of the house.

o

If you use LED strands and don't live in the Windsor castle, you really only need one outlet. I have GE LED xmas lights and can strand 25 sets together @33' per set.

o

How will you control the lights? Climb a ladder each day to plug/unplug them? Have you considered having those receptacles controlled by wall switches?

o

Switched outlets and a dusk to dawn timer.

o

Howe many depend on what you envision for the power demands of the lights you want to to run.
Smaller wattage stings (like LED lights) would likely make 15 A circuits more than adequate.

Spacing depends on the string lengths and how many can be plugged into each other (many use small wire ad 3 amp or less fuss).

If you want to be able to use remote controls for fancy effects you have the problem of providing access to the power lines for the eaves receptacles from the controller location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here