Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faulty 3-Way Switch

Posted by a3kata (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 14:36

I am having a problem with a 3-way switch in my house. The switches do not operate like 3-way switches should. One of the switches must be flipped up to be able to turn the light on with the other switch (I may not be describing this well, but I know this is not operating as a 3-way switch should).

The switches control the ceiling light in one bedroom. There are two switches about 10-12 feet apart. I just bought this house so I do not know how the wiring was done. I replaced each of the switches with new 3-way switches, however, this did not fix the problem.

I noticed that one of the switches had 3 wires (none were ground wires) and the other switch has 4 wires (none were ground wires). The switch with 4 wires had 2 wires connected to the same screw. This was on the side of the switch with 2 screws.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faulty 3-Way Switch

Sounds like a mix of 3-way and 4-way switches.

The switches are named for the number of screws/connections.

A pair of 3-way switches allows the control of a load from 2 places.

A pair of 3-way switches with 4-way switches between them allows control from 3 or more locations( you can add as many 4-way switches as you want).

o
RE: Faulty 3-Way Switch

The switches are not the problem but the way they are wired is. The way the wires are described you have a pair of 3-way switches.

The power comes into one on the common, it will be marked but you really have to look for it.
The other two wires are the travelers and go to the same place on the other switch.
The common on the second switch goes to the light.
Either switch could be first.
The two wires on one screw could be power continuing to another receptacle.
If you don't understand any of this you need someone familiar with wiring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here