Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
direct wiring 120v puck lights w/dimmer?

Posted by mafreeze (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 14:24

Under cabinet lighting is so common I really thought I'd easily find answers to the questions surrounding my own situation, but alas, gardenweb here I am! I've found this forum useful in the past and hoping someone may offer good advice again.

I have a small butler's pantry addition to my kitchen where my wife would like undercabinet lighting. Ideally, these lights would be direct-wired and controlled by a dimmer switch. The countertop is only about 60" long, so I'm thinking 3-4 puck lights will do the trick.

Currently, I have a 2-gang box at the backsplash wall with 120v power run to it via 14/2 NM cable on a 15-amp circuit. This technically isn't in a kitchen, nor is it a wet location.

I have a pack of 120v xenon pucks that have 18ga wire, each light having a plug designed to be directly plugged into a receptacle. Without breaking several portions of code I'm assuming those are unusable given the intentions I've described above. Is that correct?

I'm okay going low-voltage, etc. My only requirement is that they be direct-wired to a dimmer switch (if possible). Suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: direct wiring 120v puck lights w/dimmer?

The 120 V puck lights tend ot have a very short bulb life.

The day to day vibration of the shelf they are mounted on kills the weak filaments very quickly.

There are a number of vendors that sell 12 V puck lights with small power supplies that also can fit under a shelf and are 30 W (60 W for a dual unit).

o

I'm trying to envision how best to run the wire. I can easily extend the NM cable up the inside of the wall, so I'm thinking of wiring up the dimmer switch at the backsplash and then bringing the feed up and out to the top of the wall cabinets (they don't extend all the way to the ceiling) where I can place a box for the direct wire conections to the lights below (chasing the wires back down to the pucks inside the wall cabinets). Any issues there?

o

"I can easily extend the NM cable up the inside of the wall"

All splices for ermananet wiring must be in junction boxes that remain acceaable.

Lighting id also not aloweedf on the 20 amp small appliance branch circuits for the kitchen counters.

o

All I can say is those crap units are almost impossible for anyone to install to code, or IMO safely.
At least the low voltage ones could be made legal, those junk 120v things are useless.

OH, and this area you describe IS in the kitchen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here