Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mafreeze

direct wiring 120v puck lights w/dimmer?

mafreeze
12 years ago

Under cabinet lighting is so common I really thought I'd easily find answers to the questions surrounding my own situation, but alas, gardenweb here I am! I've found this forum useful in the past and hoping someone may offer good advice again.

I have a small butler's pantry addition to my kitchen where my wife would like undercabinet lighting. Ideally, these lights would be direct-wired and controlled by a dimmer switch. The countertop is only about 60" long, so I'm thinking 3-4 puck lights will do the trick.

Currently, I have a 2-gang box at the backsplash wall with 120v power run to it via 14/2 NM cable on a 15-amp circuit. This technically isn't in a kitchen, nor is it a wet location.

I have a pack of 120v xenon pucks that have 18ga wire, each light having a plug designed to be directly plugged into a receptacle. Without breaking several portions of code I'm assuming those are unusable given the intentions I've described above. Is that correct?

I'm okay going low-voltage, etc. My only requirement is that they be direct-wired to a dimmer switch (if possible). Suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (4)