Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A low profile range receptacle?

Posted by simanco (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 14:03

Hello all,

Our range receptacle is surface-mounted several inches up from the floor on an outside wall.

The new stove has a flush back on it so it doesn't fit over the receptacle and plug like the old one did. This means the stove is sticking out a good 3 inches more than it should as the back of the stove is up against the plug while it's plugged into the receptacle.

I know there is a flush-mount receptacle I can mount in a box, but are there any surface mounted options? I think the blades are just too big for this to ever be low profile, but I don't know what's out there.

Can you mount these surface-mount receptacles on/in the floor? Or at least "at" the floor? If I were to move the existing receptacle down and turn it horizontally at the floor, that might take care of the problem.

Are there provisions in the NEC for a flush-mount a range receptacle on the floor? This would be the best option for fitment, but ...

What are my options for making this "low profile"?

Thanks,
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A low profile range receptacle?

When I bought a new GE range I needed to have 50 amp service installed. We used a surface mount 4 wire 50 amp receptacle from Home Depot and mounted it sideways at floor level. The wiring comes up through the floor right next to the shoe molding and then into the receptacle (basement below is unfinished).

My range had in inset in the lower part of the back and the directions specified that you should install the power receptacle in that area. Its a dual fuel range, and the inset on the other side was where the gas valve was installed. If the power and gas are installed in the recommended area the range will slide all the way back to the wall.

Bruce

o

Examine the range again. Almost certainly there is a bar across the back of the range with a vertical distance between the floor and that bar. Perhaps the range receptacle could be turned horizontal to fit that space.
I rarely recommend orienting receptacles with the faces up so that debris can fall in to the slots. But placing the receptacle under the range, plugging into the receptacle and then tipping the back of the range up to slide it back over the receptacle is another option-- not an especially desirable one.

o

If this is going between cabinets then "tipping the back of the range up to slide it back over the receptacle" may make installing an anti-tip bracket difficult. What is make of the range? A lot of domestic ranges are designed to be plugged in by opening the drawer at the bottom of the stove and laying on your belly. Consider installing a 4" or 4-11/16" box on the lowest part of the wall near the center of the stove. If the house wiring comes from below your wires are probably right where you want them in the wall, with plenty of length.

o

Just install a 2 gang old work box and recessed 50a range receptacle. Similar to what is being installed in this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: 50a range receptacle

o

If the range is as the original post describes it, the male plug on the range and the cord would still interfere with the range being back to the wall with a flush mounted wall receptacle.
But I am not yet convinced that the original description is correct. As some of the locals might say, "I ain't never seen one like that."

o

It is a Garland S686.

The back is flush all the way down to the bottom of the chassis.

It is sitting on 3" high casters.

The "tombstone" style surface mount receptacle is about a foot (maybe 10 inches) above the floor - and thus in the way.

Assuming I move the tombstone receptacle to floor level and horizontal - the range will slide over it. But, the cord exits out the back of the range - so not entirely flush. I could easily drill an exit for it out the bottom of the back panel though. Then I'd have to find the appropriate bushing.

Jim

o

The enclosure on the range in which the cord terminates possibly has a knockout which permits the cord to be placed entirely under the range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here