Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simanco

A low profile range receptacle?

simanco
10 years ago

Hello all,

Our range receptacle is surface-mounted several inches up from the floor on an outside wall.

The new stove has a flush back on it so it doesn't fit over the receptacle and plug like the old one did. This means the stove is sticking out a good 3 inches more than it should as the back of the stove is up against the plug while it's plugged into the receptacle.

I know there is a flush-mount receptacle I can mount in a box, but are there any surface mounted options? I think the blades are just too big for this to ever be low profile, but I don't know what's out there.

Can you mount these surface-mount receptacles on/in the floor? Or at least "at" the floor? If I were to move the existing receptacle down and turn it horizontally at the floor, that might take care of the problem.

Are there provisions in the NEC for a flush-mount a range receptacle on the floor? This would be the best option for fitment, but ...

What are my options for making this "low profile"?

Thanks,
Jim

Comments (11)

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

Examine the range again. Almost certainly there is a bar across the back of the range with a vertical distance between the floor and that bar. Perhaps the range receptacle could be turned horizontal to fit that space.
    I rarely recommend orienting receptacles with the faces up so that debris can fall in to the slots. But placing the receptacle under the range, plugging into the receptacle and then tipping the back of the range up to slide it back over the receptacle is another option-- not an especially desirable one.

• elltwo
    10 years ago

If this is going between cabinets then "tipping the back of the range up to slide it back over the receptacle" may make installing an anti-tip bracket difficult. What is make of the range? A lot of domestic ranges are designed to be plugged in by opening the drawer at the bottom of the stove and laying on your belly. Consider installing a 4" or 4-11/16" box on the lowest part of the wall near the center of the stove. If the house wiring comes from below your wires are probably right where you want them in the wall, with plenty of length.

• btharmy
    10 years ago

Just install a 2 gang old work box and recessed 50a range receptacle. Similar to what is being installed in this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: 50a range receptacle

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

If the range is as the original post describes it, the male plug on the range and the cord would still interfere with the range being back to the wall with a flush mounted wall receptacle.
    But I am not yet convinced that the original description is correct. As some of the locals might say, "I ain't never seen one like that."

• simanco
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is a Garland S686.

The back is flush all the way down to the bottom of the chassis.

It is sitting on 3" high casters.

The "tombstone" style surface mount receptacle is about a foot (maybe 10 inches) above the floor - and thus in the way.

Assuming I move the tombstone receptacle to floor level and horizontal - the range will slide over it. But, the cord exits out the back of the range - so not entirely flush. I could easily drill an exit for it out the bottom of the back panel though. Then I'd have to find the appropriate bushing.

Jim

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

The enclosure on the range in which the cord terminates possibly has a knockout which permits the cord to be placed entirely under the range.

• wubinky
    7 years ago

Had an Electrolux that I had to build an indent in a 7" thick wall and mount the regular receptacle in that. European appliances don't play well with American standards.

• weedmeister
    7 years ago

So this is a commercial range that you are installing in a residential kitchen? Commercial ranges are not designed for residential use. They usually required 3 inches of clearance all around for air flow and cooling (they aren't insulated for zero clearance to combustibles). Hence no concern about the cable interfering at the back.

• Vith
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree with weedmeister. Otherwise, the installation manual should indicate where the outlet should be located and orientated so the range can be flush with the wall. I recently moved my range outlet for this same reason. As you mentioned, if applicable, putting the outlet near the floor and drilling out a 3/4 hole and using a stress relief or bushing for the cord would do the trick. Ensure drilling said hole would be feasible or not cause the range to not operate properly. Perhaps there is a knockout that is already there for use instead.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    7 years ago

I pulled up the installation manual online and it shows a minimum rear clearance of 2", and side clearance of 3" to combustible materials. Some of the options increase the clearance requirement even more. This is a restaurant stove that is not designed to be flush mounted.

Bruce

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia