Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fluorescents and dimmers

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 12:30

I have never installed nor used dimming fluorescents. But I did encounter this week a ceiling fan with separate wall switches for the fan and lights. The light control is a dimmer. The owner had installed 13 watt fluorescent with Edison base. The fluorescent seems to work well and maintains almost full brightness even with the dimmer set to the lowest setting. The owner showed me the package upon request and it states not to use with dimmers. Anyone have actual experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fluorescents and dimmers

i tried using a ge cfl on a dimmer and it started crackling. i used bright effects ones, and so did my friend and they worked fine.

o

"The fluorescent seems to work well and maintains almost full brightness even with the dimmer set to the lowest setting. The owner showed me the package upon request and it states not to use with dimmers. Anyone have actual experience with this?"

The 'electronic ballast' ballast in the fluorescent lights is not designed to deal with the chopped voltage waveform the dimmest produces.

It introduces higher frequency components in to the circuit, and WILL result in overheating of the electronics and shortened life, if the electronics do not actually overheat enough to start a fire.

There have been problems with some CFLs being burned base up from overheating, let alone the heating created by a dimmer supplying a distorted voltage waveform.

Conventional digital volt meters do not evne read the correct value from the voltage waveform of a dimmer across the entire range.

Some better ones that claim to be 'true RMS' can get close, but none work across the entire range.

It is an immediate fire hazard.

o

take them out. use dimmable cfls

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here