Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2-2-2-4 Wire question

Posted by kyhunter14 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 12:14

I am putting electric in my garage. It is a 100 amp box. Had 3 strand 2-2-2 aluminum (with the 4 left out) through the box, meterbase, and up through the weatherhead. Inspector said I needed 2/0 aluminum instead. Everyone I talked to said this was crazy and was too much ampage. Anyway, I called another inspector and he said 3/2 was what to use. Is this the same as what I had in it to begin with (2-2-2-4, just leaving the 4 out)?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2-2-2-4 Wire question

Yes, but you need the fourth wire. This sub-feed needs to have a dedicated ground wire.

o

In KY (unless something has changed in the last couple of years), most places will pass #4 copper or #2 aluminum for a 100A service. A few places used to insist on #3 copper, IIRC. I have no idea what "3/2" means, every KY electrician or inspector I know would say "use number 2 aluminum" or "use number 4 copper" when talking about this.

It sounds as if you started with "2-2-2-4 URD", which is intended for underground use. That could be part of the reason the inspector turned you down.

You should be aware that KY makes it very difficult for "another inspector" to pass an installation that has already been turned down by the a different previous inspector. So you will probably end up putting in 2/0 Al to make this pass anyway.

o
RE: 2-2-2-4 Wire question (more)

"petey racer"-I think he is putting in a seperate overhead service, not a subpanel. I took "...through the box, meterbase, and up through the weatherhead.." to indicate that anyway.

o

Uh...duh. I guess I missed that very obvious part.
Now where's that little red faced icon.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here