Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyhunter14

2-2-2-4 Wire question

kyhunter14
14 years ago

I am putting electric in my garage. It is a 100 amp box. Had 3 strand 2-2-2 aluminum (with the 4 left out) through the box, meterbase, and up through the weatherhead. Inspector said I needed 2/0 aluminum instead. Everyone I talked to said this was crazy and was too much ampage. Anyway, I called another inspector and he said 3/2 was what to use. Is this the same as what I had in it to begin with (2-2-2-4, just leaving the 4 out)?

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• petey_racer
    14 years ago

Yes, but you need the fourth wire. This sub-feed needs to have a dedicated ground wire.

• wayne440
    14 years ago

In KY (unless something has changed in the last couple of years), most places will pass #4 copper or #2 aluminum for a 100A service. A few places used to insist on #3 copper, IIRC. I have no idea what "3/2" means, every KY electrician or inspector I know would say "use number 2 aluminum" or "use number 4 copper" when talking about this.

It sounds as if you started with "2-2-2-4 URD", which is intended for underground use. That could be part of the reason the inspector turned you down.

You should be aware that KY makes it very difficult for "another inspector" to pass an installation that has already been turned down by the a different previous inspector. So you will probably end up putting in 2/0 Al to make this pass anyway.

• wayne440
    14 years ago

"petey racer"-I think he is putting in a seperate overhead service, not a subpanel. I took "...through the box, meterbase, and up through the weatherhead.." to indicate that anyway.

• petey_racer
    14 years ago

Uh...duh. I guess I missed that very obvious part.
    Now where's that little red faced icon.......

• gdhdcx
    8 years ago

Im in Tenn. I have 200 amp. Service comming to a pole that is on my property. I want to put the wire underground and bring it to the house's 200amp panel. Then go to garage with a wire to carry 100 amps. Garage is anout thirty five away. I want that wire for the 100 amp service buried also. Can some one give mr the proper proper wire size and regs. If you know them.

• greg_2015
    8 years ago

I'd suggest starting your own thread instead of piggy backing on this old one that is loosely related (The OP is talking about overhead wiring).

And you didn't state how far the pole is from your house panel.

Are you attempting to do this yourself? I imagine it needs to be inspected. If so, you could ask the inspector's office for the regulations.