Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmum_gw

weatherproof flood light kit install

grandmum
10 years ago

My son replaced a flood light in our soffit.

He installed a basic floodlight weatherproof kit.

THe box in the soffit was a square switch box. He mounted the circular weatherproof box on top of the box securing it to the soffit. (it doesnt have holes to mount directly to an electrical box) He then grounded the two together.

He pigtailed the wires into the light fixture box to make the connections to the bulbs.

So there are 4 wires in the switch box (hot/neutral pigtrailed with an additional length of 14/2 that goes into fixture and connects with bulb wires.

Is that acceptable?

THis is a similar kit:
http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/rough-electrical/junction-boxes/weatherproof/bronze-weatherproof-floodlight-kit/p-1404716-c-6432.htm

Comments (7)

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Absent anything not mentioned, it seems like a reasonable installation. The fact that you have to remove one box to get to the junction in the other (if I understand you right) while inconvenient is not illegal.

• grandmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. That was my sons main concern. He thought by putting the weather proofbox on top of the recessed switch box that it may have violated the rule that all wiring must be accessible.

He went to the hardware store looking for a square to round plaster ring that would mount to the 3x2 box but couildnt find one.

The weatherproof box is mounted to the wood soffit with two galvanized exterior screws.

Is there anything wrong with the installation that he added an extra pigtail of 14g to the connection?

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Accessible means you can get at it without removing the finished building structure. Moving the surface mount box meets the definition even if it's not particularly convenient.

• grandmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Son wanted me to inquire about the grounding.

We have metal conduit, mechanical ground, no ground wires in boxes. The switch box in soffit is old style and does not have a screw hole in the back for a ground screw.

So my son used a gardner and bender pigtail. The green screw on the pigtail wouldnt fit so he attached it to the device mounting screw hole on the old box with a sheet metal screw (not taped or self drilled, used the hole on mounting tab of box).

He brought the spade terminal into the weatherproof box with the other wires and connected it to the grounding screw in the weatherproof box.

There was also grounding screws on each of the bulb holders which he did not connect.

Is this acceptable?

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

No that's not appropraite. He needs to use a tapped hole or listed terminal on a conduit fitting in the original box (if the box is indeed fed by grounded conduit). From there he can run the green or bare wire from that terminal to the NEW box and to the light fixture.

• grandmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arent the holes that a device would hold onto considered tapped? The same holes that an outlet would be mounted with (grounded) or where you would mount a fixture bracket that had a green ground screw on it?

Can we use a smaller screw than the ground screw that comes with the pigtails? Or does an existing hole in the box need to be enlarged to acomodate the green screw?

Do even old work switch boxes have screw holes? The smallish hole my son found inside the box wouldnt acomodate the grounding screw, probably for a nail for mounting?

Does a green grounding clip suffice?

• grandmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent him back up there to ground it properly. Instead he used a UL listed grounding clip and affixed that and a 14g wire to the side of the box.

H swears there wasnt a hole big enough to acomodate a standard green grounding screw and we dont have a taping tool nor did I want him drilling into the box.

Hopefully that is acceptable.

Now to find out how to repair the aliminum soffit, the old fixture was larger and there is a circular gap between the aluminum cutout for the old fixture and the new fixture....