Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I install electric switch for my gas heater?

Posted by stripedbass (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 11:19

I have a Vermont Castings direct vent gas heater. The model is Stardance. The model number is SDV30RF. It's made for propane but has a conversion kit so that it can work with gas.

It's operated with a remote control.

But what if I wanted to have an electric switch installed on the wall to operate the heater? Is this possible? If so, would the switch be able to do anything other than to turn the heater on and off?

I'm including a photo of my heater.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I install electric switch for my gas heater?

Yes, if you have the manual for it, you'll see that there are places to attach a regular on/off switch or even a thermostat rather than using the remote.

o

Yes, I have the manual for it. Actually, my plumber has the manual (he borrowed it) and will return it to me tomorrow.

Are you sure there is part in the manual that explains how I can install an electric switch for it? I really want to believe you.

o

Yes, it does. You can download it off Vermont Castings site as well.

o

ronnatalie,

Thank you very much! Through your response I noticed that the manual (http://www.manualslib.com/manual/186171/Vermont-Castings-Stardance-Sdv30.html?page=39) states that I have an option for a Wall mounted thermostat control.

Sorry for being so clueless. Does this mean that the thermostat has to be wired to my heater?

The reason why this question is very important is that I'm currently having electrical work done in my home so it would be an ideal time to tackle this issue.

My concern for having a wall control of any kind is so that I can have a way of running my heater should the remote control get lost or damaged.

o

Nope, you can use either the switch or a thermostat.

o

ronnatalie,

Sorry but I didn't understand your response.

What switch are you talking about?

Right now I just have a remote control.

o

Look at the pictures, you can hook a switch to the terminals provided for that. Any electrician that can read should be able to handle this.

o

Actually, the instruction manual shows connections for a different controller (not the "rf" series). If you look underneath your stove, you'll notice that there are different connectors and a different configuration, wiring, etc. After 8 years, my controller has started to fail and allows the stove to remain fully on or not to come on at all, despite the thermostat settings.

I've contacted our local dealer who tells me that 1). The controller is no longer being made. 2). The complete burner unit will have to be replaced at a cost of about $400-$450 to allow for a thermostat to be wall-mounted. We're in the process of ordering the parts for that option since my wife has cancer and we cannot "chance" a stove failure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here