Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long distance run - Help!!

Posted by buckeyewilly (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 10:55

Two years ago we built a small cabin on the back of our pond that sits on our 1 acre pond. Distance from the house is approximately 1500 feet. The local power company wants an outrageous amount to run seperate service to the cabin. Presently, I have a 100 amp service in the cabin that is run by a 5600 watt generator that is in a seperate out building near the cabin.

I would love to run some electric back to this cabin that would run the following -

mini fridge 1.2 amps,
sm tv 1.7 amps,
lighting 2.8 amps.

Here is the balance of the electrical items that we use.

2.5 gal. hot water heater 12.5 amps
microwave - 8 amps
toaster oven - 8 amps
coffee pot - 7.5 amps

Our water system is feed by a 12 volt pump. I do own a Kubota with back hoe so I can dig the trench for direct burial cable. What size wiring would I need to accomplish this. I am open to any and all ideas.

Thanks,
Willy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long distance run - Help!!

What exactly do you consider "an outrageous amount"? You may find that it is quite reasonable when you start comparing it to 1500+ ft of 500mcl Quadplex.

o

I believe their cost was $12000.

o

If 2/0 aluminum would cut it, the wire would run about $6,000. Then it is all you, trenching/ installation.

o

1500ft of 2/0 AL would drop about 8 volts at 20A. You could watch the lights and know when your water heater was up to temperature.

o

I think my post might have been misleading. I am only interested in supplying enough power to cover the fridge, lighting & tv which is about 6 amps. The balance of the appliances we would continue to use the generator as needed. Just having the fridge and lights would be great!!

o

Using a voltage drop calculator and 30 amps as a reference you need to use 350 MCM.

o

Even at a 20A load, you need 4/0, and that's if you run a 120/240 feeder for a subpanel.

o

If i was you, I would invest in a solar panel system with batteries. It would probably be cheaper than running wire.

o

If it was mine, I might consider using step-up transformer at the source and step-down at the point of use. THWN is rated at 600 volts- requires conduit. Impractical for your distance. Type UF-B cable is typically rated at 600 volts. But you will spend $6000 or more on the cheapest setup I can envision.
Without the step-up, use of 120/240 will cut voltage losses to 1/4 that of 120 volt supply for the same amperage if the loads on the 120/240 are evenly divided between the poles. Cable for the 120/240 costs considerably more, but use of smaller size may be possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here