Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which outlet is a switched outlet?

Posted by decor8for2 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 10:42

My DH is a simple project kind of guy, so when we wanted to change out our old outlets in the bedrooms we thought it would be simple enough. Each bedroom "had" a switchable outlet due to no overhead lighting and he just rewired the new outlet the same as the old one.

I never really noticed but months after he changed them I went to plug in a lamp and it no longer worked by turning on the switch. After reading many, many post on here I now realise that he didn't remove the tab between the outlet.

I would like to be sure that when he goes back and removes this tab he gets the correct outlet. Is there a way to tell for sure which outlet once worked by the switch? Or does it really matter as long as it's on the same line?

Thanks for all your help on here

Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which outlet is a switched outlet?

It's going to be difficult. The receptacle that needs the tab removed is going to have two wires going to the bronze screw side of it. However, some builders may have also used the receptacle for feeding through to other receptacles which would also have multiple wires going to that side (though a giveaway *might* be only one white wire going to the receptacle).

Your guess of the "tab" problem is correct if the light is on all the time now (no matter where the switch is). If the light dosen't come on, then it's something else.

o
RE: Which outlet is a switched outlet?

The receptacle in question will likely have either a red and black wire connected to the receptacle or a white wire connected to a black wire in the box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here