Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lke2decor

outlet question?

lke2decor
13 years ago

We have an outlet that is on the side of our kitchen island. We want to purchase an island that is open on the bottom (essentially, it has no sides). What would we do with the outlet? Can in get placed in the floor???? Not sure if I want to loose the option of not having a plug on the island. Really like the island though.

Comments (15)

• Billl
    13 years ago

Is this new island going to be like a piece of furniture that you could move around or is it going to be a permanently built in part of the kitchen?

• lke2decor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Attached image of the island. It would act like a stationary piece of furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: crate & barrel

• pharkus
    13 years ago

That doesn't really tell us whether or not you plan to permanently attach it to the floor.

• lke2decor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, don't plan to permanently attach to floor

• joed
    13 years ago

Then it would be considered a table as far as the code is concerned. No receptacle is required. The existing receptacle can be eliminated by disconnecting the cable at the source and removing it.

• Billl
    13 years ago

Just as a practical matter, I wouldn't want an outlet underneath a prep surface. It would only be a matter of time before someone spilled water or wine or spaghetti sauce in the thing.

• pharkus
    13 years ago

A valid point. A large commercial kitchen I worked in handled this by treating them as outdoor outlets, in-use covers and all.

• lke2decor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone. I guess I have to decide if I want to loose that option of having electric at the island. I am not sure that I want to loose that option. I think I have to say bye bye to that island.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

cant u just have the rec (hopefully hospital grade) sticking out of the floor?

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

A tombstone type box for the receptacle is a possible if you NEVER intend to move the table. Hospital grade receptacles will not help here any more than having a QO panel feeding it.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Since a table is not required to have receptacles you also get some relief in the rules for required kitchen counter receptacles.

They could be placed as plug-mold facing down under the table overhang., and then use a cord to connect to a supply in a floor pocket.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

actually, i like to use hosp grades in the kitchen because they last forever. spec grades wear out too quickly. i had some wear out in my room, but they were coopers, of course.

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

More pearls of wisdom from our experienced friend Smithy.

I have been using Cooper spec-grade devices exclusively for over 6 years now. I have yet to have a failed switch or receptacle.
    Resi grade from anyone is junk.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

i have a cooper spec grade 5-15 in my room on my "bookshelf ", mounted in a 4x4 box, with a 12/3 sjoow cord. i plug/unplug 3-5+ times a day. it lasted ne 3 mos. im going to rep0lace it with either leviton or hubbell hospital grade.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Too bad Square D doesn't make receptacles :)