Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quick question, hopefully

Posted by ladoladi (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 9:42

hello:

i'm in the midst of a mostly DIY kitchen reno. we are considering adding electric to the new island. there is currently no power/water/gas/anything to the island, but the nearest wall is about 5 ft away and there's already an electrical outlet there. here's the catch: we're on a cement slab.

this doesn't seem like something we want to DIY, but i'm not sure who to call. it doesn't seem like the electrician would chip out the 5 ft trench. is this something that is often asked of electricians?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quick question, hopefully

If your adding a new island, you don't have to just consider it, adding the outlet is actually required. The outlet 5 feet away can only be connected to if it is a small appliance circuit (20 amp circuit feeding the counter top, kitchen wall, and dinning room receptacle outlets. An electrician would certainly do it but likely would sub out the trenching portion. You might save money by having a handyman or concrete guy that does small jobs, deal with the trench. The electrician would likely have to mark up the trenching work in order to cover the cost of dealing with the coordination. For the electric you will need conduit with wet rated (thwn) individual conductors. The conduit will have to be continuously piped to the junction box the power is being supplied from, so an electrician will likely be needed to do the conduit work and run the proper wire.

o

Make sure the person doing the concrete cutting knows what they are doing. If you have a tensioned slab they can do major damage if they cut the tension cables. Do you have in floor heating or water lines. Those are other issues you need to be aware of.

o

MAKE SURRRE you use a 20a receptacle. I see too many electricians using 15 amp receptacles in kitchens. I have extension cords and splitters with the 20 amp configuration and it drives me nuts that i can only use them at my house and my grandparents's house :(

o

Believe it or not, it is perfectly to code to use 15 amp receptacles in the kitchen. The circuit has to be sized to 20 amps but the receptacles are allowed to be 15 or 20 amp. How many things do you possibly have that utilize the configuration of a 20 amp receptacle? Besides a very heavy appliance (that really should have a separate circuit and receptacle anyway) there really are not many cords that require a 20 amp receptacle.

Reminds me of one day at the HD store, a misinformed electrician was getting all pissed off at the employee for not having 20 amp GFCI receptacles in brown color. Kept yelling, "It is required by code, why don't you sell them! Unfortunately, the employee was so clueless he didn't know what to say. He also handed the customer an Ivory GFCI and said, "this is brown, right?" lol

As to the 20 amp receptacles, I think they only need to be installed if someone like you actually plans to utilize them.

o

I don't know if the NEC is the same, but here the way around this problem is that you only have to put a rec. on a PERMANENTLY FIXED island. If the island isn't screwed to the floor(even if it LOOKS permanent) it doesn't require anything. Since there are no other services to this island, I might be tempted to call it a table, and call it a day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here