Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
putting outlet into brick

Posted by homeimprovementdiva (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 6, 09 at 8:59

we just bought a house and want to put our tv over the fireplace like we had at our old house but this one has brick from floor to ceiling. Is it possible to put an electrical outlet into the brick?

We haven't moved in yet and I can't remember if there is an outlet close by to run it to but we have a 2yr old boy who is curious about electricity and outlets so we'd rather not go that route if the outlet wouldn't be blocked by furniture or something.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: putting outlet into brick

Yes, it is possible to put an outlet in a brick wall. How difficult that is going to be depends on the specific construction details. For instance, if this is a brick veneer over a hollow interior wall, it's pretty easy to chisel out a brick and put in an outlet. If it's a solid masonry fireplace, the challenge could be considerable.

My recommendation would be to call an electrician and get an estimate.

o
RE: putting outlet into brick

homeimprovmentdiva-
If your kid is curious about electricity, you might want to get some safety covers like those shown in the link below. That's what I used for outlets where we were plugging and unplugging things frequently, like the vacuum, or that had something plugged in where the plug was readily accessible. They take about 15 seconds to install. For other receptacles where the plug-ins are rarely or never used, you can buy those push-in caps for about 25 cents apiece, and they are very difficult for a kid (or even an adult) to get out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safety covers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here