Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smoke alarm going off for no reason?

Posted by radioguy4ever (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 07 at 6:35

so there i am, rubbing down the swedish bowling cheerleaders with oil when one looks at me and says...

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

smoke alarm going off. i jump out of bed, and by the time i got into the hallway, they stopped. checked all the rooms, no smoke, no fire.

they went off for a total of about 30-45 seconds. any idea why then would have gone off like that for no reason??

on a related note, with regards to a co2 detector, how would you know if it was a false alarm or not? we currently do NOT have one, so i know thats not what set the alarms off...

any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forgot to add

ETA: these are hard wired smokes, there are a total of 6... 4 bedrooms, 1 upstairs hallway and 1 on the 1st floor.

o
RE: smoke alarm going off for no reason?

I can relate (well, except for the part about the cheerleaders)!!! Our last house had the same problem. They were hard-wired together and only went off for maybe 5 seconds, but always in the middle of the night. They did it at least once a month for as long as we lived in that house and we never did figure out why. Let me tell you.....5 seconds of that ear-splitting noise will roust you from dreamland to full alert FAST!!!!

Cindy

o

They may require cleaning to remove a buildup of dust and spider webs. Vacuum each one to remove the dirt. If the detectors are more than 10 years old, you should think about replacing them.
It's a CO detector (not CO2). If one goes off in the summer when nothing is running that produces combustion gases, you could assume it is a false alarm. In the winter, or if you have a gas water heater or stove, treat it as a true alarm.

o

normel, the smokes are only a few MONTHS old...

in our house, we dont have anything gas... water is elec, stove is elec and furnace is fuel oil. is it safe to assume the only thing that would produce carbon monixide is the furnace? i dont have a co detector now, but will be adding one soon. but my primary concern is why the smokes went off...

o

Look around your neighborhood; See any antennas? I've seen HAM base-station transmitters trigger wired smoke detectors. The control wiring among the detectors acts like a big receiving antenna.
Mobile police CB or HAM transmitters could also set off smoke alarms. They'll trigger motion detector lights, as well. Perhaps a night security guard chats on a CB in his car to keep awake on the graveyard shift. Many CBs have been illegally modified to transmit more than the allowed power.

CB also uses AM (amplitude modulation), or sometimes SSB (single sideband) modes of transmission. Both are more likely to cause interference than FM (frequency modulation), which police, fire and most mobile HAM radios use.

A mobile-phone tower might cause problems. Yet the power output is relatively low, so it's much less likely.

Good luck!

Marco

o

You may have just one bad smoke alarm but if they are hard wired and interconnected it sends the alarm to all.
You can try removing them one at a time until you find the defective unit. Try cleaning it with a vaccume or compressed air or replace it.

o

"...the smokes are only a few MONTHS old..."

New house? Vacuum the dust out of the things.

If you have not done any remodeling that created dust then try the 'one by one' approach to see if one is defective.

o

brickeye, how can i tell if one is defective?

i just added them as we were doing some remodeling and the code officer said because we remodeled more than 80% of the house a interconnected had to be added.

o

If your hard wired smoke detectors are like mine, they also have a battery in them. When the battery is low the alarm beeps until you change the battery. And once you do change the battery the alarm will contine to beep until it kind of resets itself.
Take down the smoke detector and look at the bottom, there should be a battery compartment. Open and replace with new battery.

o

kbpipe, this was not what you describe. the smokes actually went off, continuosly... not a chirp but full beeping.

o

"how can i tell if one is defective?"

No easy way if it is going off when it should not.
When you disconnect the bad one the problem will stop.

Having them not go off is a lot easier to check.
A good dose of smoke from a cigarette will trip most of them, and there are cans of 'smoke' to spray on them also.

o

I know if I test mine the one I test sounds off first and then the others one or two seconds later. When your detectors go off try pulling the first one that sounds, if you can determine which it is.

o

brickeye, its funny that you say that, because i just quit smoking!

well, heres the latest. yesterday afternoon there was 1 detector that started going off, but not the other ones. is it safe to assume that is the culprit? i dicsonnected it and brought it back to HD and they gave me another.

this is pretty scary though, not knowing of they are going to work properly if (god forbid) they ACTUALLY NEED TO BE USED...

o

Hi,

It happened to me, Went off for like 40 seconds. Looked around no fire or smoke. Checked each one and saw that one had an LED blinking. Indicates it is the one that went off. Two feet to the side a spider scurrying away. So in my case it was a spider. Has not happened again.

Best, Mike.

o

Who knows what is the cause and what to do about this awful problem. I have 6 wired in alarms, all changed 2 weeks ago and the noise they produce is ear splitting. They go off randomly and like to wake me up in shock in the middle of the night. I don't want to hear more stories, I want to hear causes and solutions.

o

Our smoke alarm is just beeping every few minutes, it is hard wired in, we have tried to do the test, and then the button to turn that off, turned off breaker, still does the beeping. Can you help? It is not a full blown alarm sound.

o

Issue:
Our smoke alarm is just beeping every few minutes, it is hard wired in, we have tried to do the test, and then the button to turn that off, turned off breaker, still does the beeping.
Answer Start twisting off the unit until you find the bad one and replace it at Lowe or Home Depot. Crazy thing will beep all night until you remove it.

o

OMG!!!!!!

This just now happened to me and its 4 am!!!!! Scared me and this has never happened. I have 5 smokes in my house (all electric and all wired (each also have a battery) occasionally they will beep when battery is low, but that's it. This was a mind numbing screeching loud throughout the house unlike anything I've ever heard.....I found the one in the hall was blinking red so unplugged it and all the others stopped.....I changed the battery, plugged it back in, and every alarm started going off again.......I'm afraid to plug this one back in.....and Now I'm paranoid that there is fire somewhere.....

o

It's now 2:40 and 2nd round of random smoke detector screaming ended...glad I read this (hubby killed a spider near alarm).
Hoping for sleep now

o

Ok..I have 6 hard wired w/battery backup detectors. Basement, first floor, 3 bedrooms, and upstairs hallway. Was just woken up by the one in the hallway and first floor going off. Only went off for 15-20 seconds. Grabbed my 14 year old daughter and ran downstairs...no fire, no smoke, no smell or visible problem. We have NOTHING that uses gas in our home. Just fuel oil. (Furnace is only heating the hot water this time of year) and I don't even think any of them are CO detectors anyway. Called hubby at work and he has no idea. This is the first time this has happened, and I'm kinda wondering, if the are hard wired together, why didn't ALL of them go off?

o

I live in a very new, 3 br house. Its after 3 am and I a
am alone in the house with my infant. The smoke alarm
in my bedroom went off for just about 5 seconds and woke me up. There was even an accompanying voice that said "fire" and then it just stopped. I jumped up out of bed and went into the hallway. No smoke, no further beeping. I wonder why it did that. None of the other ones went off and it stopped right away.

o

It's 1 am & my alarm just went off for about 20 min. Also kept saying fire, fire over & over. I'm also alone with a 6 month old & freaked out. My fire alarms are also co detectors. So I'm scared that might be it. They finally stopped & I opened a window. Reading these posts makes me feel better. I know I'm not alone & this has happened before. Still wondering what I can do to fix this, though.

o

Ours just did the same thing. It is not batteries needing replaced. I replaced all the batteries even though they weren't chirping and they are all still going off every couple of minutes. My 3 yr old is hysterical.

o

Glad I read this thread. For a half hour the alarms were going on and off where I am staying alone with many dogs. Not totally sure, but I did notice emergency vehicles on the rural road nearby and suspect it may have been police CBs as one of the posters suggested. They've stayed quiet for a while now and I think I've calmed down enough to go back to sleep.

o

My alarms just went off. For 30 min and have stopped now.

Went all the way to basement no fire.

I have a separate co detector it is queit.

not sure if I should call fire department.

If it goes off again i am going to call 911.

o

So glad to know we are not alone! The BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! with the FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! were driving me crazy. Lasted about 10 minutes. My husband (an electrician) can not figure out why they were going off. He flipped the breaker and then realized they were battery backup. He started disconnecting each one. On the third one, it finally stopped. Crazy and very alarming, just so thankful it wasn't a real fire!

o

I have had this issue and some explained i needed to get my house checked for the unknown. It turned out it was a spirit passing by and the spirit triggered off the alarm.after doing so.e spiritual cleansing on the house it stopped completly.Pls don't just sit back. It actually means you are not alone in that house. You cannot see them but they can see you...

o

This is the second time it happened. Loud alarm noise at 3AM with frequent intervals of 15 min. All the SA's are hardwired and with new batteries. Will be calling the maker of SA tomorrow to figure out the acual cause. Glad to know that there are others who have experienced it as well. Leaving the hallway lights open did avoid the alarm from triggering again. Going back to sleep again

o

Sheila can you specifically email what your husband did? I am having similar experience and feel I need to bring in an electrician in and figure out why the one of five goes off. There is no light to note it is the one with the trouble. It also appears to sound off intermittently for about ten minutes one to three beeps or on other evenings just once at about the same hour of the evening between midnight and three am. This is most unusual and frustrating.

o

I just moved to an apartment that's been remodeled over 80% and having the same issue. And to be frank I'm about to hire a electrician and get him to cut the wires, I'm losing sleep over this and its starting to affect my work performance. Either that or the mossberg 500 is gonna take action lol

o

I just moved to an apartment that's been remodeled over 80% and having the same issue. And to be frank I'm about to hire a electrician and get him to cut the wires, I'm losing sleep over this and its starting to affect my work performance. Either that or the mossberg 500 is gonna take action lol

o

Is there a question? Many things can cause SD to go off. High humidity, dust inside, age of SD, etc.

o

I've seen this happen when one unit detects some fault ( other than the battery) dying. Check to see that all their covers are firmly seated, etc....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here