Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonlionfish

Can I use a regular outlet to supply a built in dishwasher?

jonlionfish
9 years ago

We had my brother put in a plug for our dishwasher, that we since learned is in the wrong place - directly behind the dw, which is also apparently against code.

(We were going to convert a portable dw into an under cabinet one - hence the plug.)

Instead we will be getting a new built in. Can we still use the plug, but somehow convert it to a hardwire connection? Is this simple to do?

The plug runs down from a counter plug above it, and is on the same circuit, which I think is wrong too. I was told we can make the counter one a gfci instead of adding a new circuit - but that may be incorrect.

We are not experienced with wiring at all. We'll be hiring a pro, but want to hear options.

Another possibility is killing that plug, and putting it under the sink, and adding a plug end to the built in dishwasher, or staying with our original plan of converting the portable into an under counter one - which already has a plug.

What would you guys do? We're in the middle of our kitchen cupboard install and stuck on this issue.

Comments (2)