Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbander1

I need one switch that can turn on three lights

jbander
9 years ago

I want to be able to turn on one of the lights or two of the lights or three of the lights as in all of them and of course , all of them off. This will be in one light fixture with three bulbs and If possible I would like a small, not overpowering looking switch for aesthetic value. Does this switch have a name that is if it exists, I'm assuming it does. Thank you.

Comments (16)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

So does a switch like the one below satisfy your needs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Triple rocker switch

• jreagan_gw
    9 years ago

What light fixture are you using? Ones with three bulbs are usually all tied together. Are you taking it apart to rewire with three separate black wires?

If you are looking to control the amount of light, wouldn't a dimmer be a better choice?

• randy427
    9 years ago

What kind of cabling do you have going from the switch location to the fixture, or is it a remodel or new construction? You'll need three hot legs, a neutral and a ground.

• jbander
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm building a table lamp and it will have three different lights in ,They will be florescent tubes. I want to be able to adjust the lighting by being able to turn on one, two or all three lights. Although I could accomplish the same thing with a dimmer. Both of the above ideas are good and I could use them but was hoping for something a little less conspicuous.
    It will simply plug into a wall receptacle . Do florescent work well with dimmers. If you use a dimmer do they have to be special fluorescents.

• jreagan_gw
    9 years ago

Ohhhh.... A table lamp, not some ceiling/wall mounted fixture.

Many fluorescents are dimmable today but not the cheap ones. You need both a dimmer rated for fluorescents and fluorescents that are made to be dimmed.

However, for your "it will plug into a wall", you can't control a wall receptacle with a dimmer in NEC2014 so you'll need some other kind of switch or lamp-mounted dimmer.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

You can dim certain fluorescent bulbs. Google "dimmable fluorescent" to get an idea of what you need to know. If you use a dimmer, you will be able to get by with running just one cable.

• jreagan_gw
    9 years ago

would this do the trick for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Leviton dimmer

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

they do exist.

Here is a link that might be useful: switch

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

One other thing. We are assuming you want to control this from a wall switch. Are you thinking of a switch in the lamp that controls the individual bulbs?

• jbander
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The switch would need to be on the lamp, the socket that I plug into isn't controlled by a switch, jreagan that definitely is a possibility , it wouldn't even be on the lamp. Grubby that's great but to control three lights dependently, wouldn't there have to be more outlet wires.(unless that's one inlet wire and 3 outlet wires) Either one to each light or even two to each light depending on how it would be wired. We are definitely getting close, Garden has always been one of the best sources for needed information

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

I would suggest LEDs. 3-way incandescents still exist, I think. As well as floor standing lamps with 3 bulbs switched 1, 2, and all at a time.

• jbander
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3 bulbs switched 1, 2, and all at a time. Thats what I want just the switch though, I'm Trying to get it as just one switch though, I'm building the lamp. Thanks every one

• pharkus
    9 years ago

I have seen (at HD if I remember correctly) a multi-brightness CFL designed to go in 3-way fixtures... perhaps that might be your easiest solution.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

Didn't see that switch reference until now. That's what you want for the table lamp. 1 wire, one bulb, 1 wire, 2 bulbs. The switch then operates 1 bulb, 2 bulbs then all bulbs.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

A common rotary switch is not ideal for three fluorescent lamps. The frequent switching even when you don't want one of the lamps on will drastically cut lamp life depending on what kind of ballast is used. The switch in the link above is for two lamps, not three.

Not knowing what might be needed for the background of the lamp, I can't make solid suggestions, but I think you will have to find small, individual switches if you want flexibility and lamp life. Mounting switches under a "membrane" may fix the problem for you. Any route that you go, consider buying spare switches in case you have a failure. Something off-beat may not be available for very long.

Take a look at this and other switches at this site:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/pb-177/spst-on/off-pushbutton/1.html

Unfortunately, so listed switches don't have voltage specs so you might have to ask them. Like this one: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/pb-172y/spst-n.o.-pushbutton-yellow/1.html

You might also try this site: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G19799A

• jbander
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I can live with 3 switches, I like your page you gave me, good prices, Thanks ionized

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia