Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Switching a double breaker to a single breaker

Posted by aussie-roo (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 0:33

I have disconnected the radiant heat in my bedroom ceiling (changing to radiant floor heating) which was on a double 15amp (30 amp total) breaker. The new radiant floor only requires 15 amp (single breaker). Looking in the electrical panel the two 15 (double breaker) look like they are connected by a small pin in the flip switch. If I pull the breaker out is it possible to pull the double breaker apart and reuse the two 15amp breakers as a single breakers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Switching a double breaker to a single breaker

Depends on the breakers. Some are literally two single breakers with a handle tie. Those you can do exactly that. Actually, other than the nuisance factor of one tripping and taking out the other one, there's nothing that says you can't put separate circuits on each leg of a two pole or tied breaker.

o

firstof all, when you said for 30 amps total, you are wrong. It is 15 amps 240 volts. i would reccommend just buying a new 15 a breaker and a filler plate.

o

" i would reccommend just buying a new 15 a breaker and a filler plate."

Not really worth the trouble.

Use one side of the two pole breaker and leave the other unconnected.

If you need another 15 A circuit, use the other side of the two pole.

If it is annoying having BOTH circuits turn off when EITHER trips, purchase two single pole breakers at that point.

o

It is likely that both sides will not turn off when tripped, use them both for separate circuits.

o

Steveomc, it has become clear to me that you shouldn't be giving advice on this forum. You clearly don't have the requisite experience/knowledge.

A two pole breaker is designed so that both poles open on a trip.

o

Changing to single breakers could avoid confusion and wasted time in the future.

o

what do you think the ''common internal trip'' is for? Read a breaker. i dont mean to be rude

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here