Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spencer_electrician

Problems with levition tombstones on surface channel fluorescents

Thought I'd see if any other electricians have ran across arcing issues in tombstones that have the beloved little wheel in the middle, a levition model. The lights are Hugh Williams. My issue is I've installed 75 8 feet long (4 bulb T8) fixtures in a facility that needs tube guards on the bulbs. We had a few bulbs burn up their ends and determined the bulbs must of not been turned into the socket correctly (the tube guards make it a little tricky to grip the bulb and lock it into the socket. But now we're having handfuls of additional bulbs burning out their end pins from arcing in the connector. It seems that just tapping the bulb in the levition tombstone instantly gets it out of position enough to begin violent arcing. Was using tube guards a bad idea, in terms of causing trouble with the fixture? I'm doubting anything is defective from Leviton but that its more just the nature of that style tombstone. Anyone agree to change them to the type of tombstone that has 2 contacts without any wheel in the middle? Of course I'll have 600 of them to change. Williams didn't quite understand my complaint and mailed out 12 tombstones for the ones that already burnt up. I'm hoping for a fix for all of them get rid of this problem. Thanks so much for any input.

Spencer

Comments (2)