Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wits end trying to figure out a replacement ballast for this

Posted by emma823 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 23:56

I bought a wall sconce online that had it's ballast removed (yes, im not happy about it), and now I need to replace it so that I don't have to pay another $300 for another lamp. Can someone please help me figure out what the appropriate replacement is? I cannot find the same item for sale anywhere. It also seems like the output voltage is incorrect (made in China).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wits end trying to figure out a replacement ballast for this

You might need to describe the t5 (14w ?) lamp type. Straight or folded? What length?
The regular t5 14w ballasts are commonly available at electrical supply stores. But you may need one that is long, thin, narrow, and hard to find, that fits within the fixture?
Wouldn't be concerned about the output (striking) voltage very much, once the lamp lights it doesn't matter.

The link in Canada seems to be their last foothold in N.A if it is still open.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landlite contact

o

Thanks so much for the reply. It's a lamp that powers single t5 14w lamp. The casing is only like 1" thick and 3" wide, so I think the ballast needs to be 0.75"x6"x2"

o

The output voltage is correct.

That is the kind of voltage you meed to get the arc to form in a florescent light.

They are not classified as 'discharge lighting' for nothing.

o

i see. Do you happen to know what ballast to get? My local hardware shop didn't have the right one. If this matters, the wires on the ballast are:

1 black , 1 white for the power side

1 black, 1 white, 1 red, 1 green on the lamp side

o

That looks like a custom ballast designed to fit a very specific fixture.

You might be able to find another fixture that uses the same bulb and take the ballast from it.

o

While I don't quite follow how you bought a lamp without a ballast, but also took a picture of the missing ballast, I'm assuming this is a picture of the one required in your fixture!

A quick check of the UL approval shows the company on the UL website:

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=FKVS.E236433&ccnshorttitle=Fluorescent+Lamp+Ballasts&objid=1076399447&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073986671&sequence=1

Then another search shows the same Canadian website which @laat2 provided:

http://www.landlite.com/ca/index.html

And then here is their Chinese website homepage (in English):

http://www.landlite.com/

Contact email for both locations are on each website. I'd probably start with China first - just because I work with Asian manufacturers all the time.

Of course their Canadian office may be able to help as well, so try them both!

o

Will this work for you?

http://www.expresslightbulbs.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_263_303_430&products_id=1238

Best I can do without more info on the lamp. Size, shape, number of pins. Pic would be best.

o

Any ballast that will run one 14 watt T-5 bulb off 120 V. should do electrically. This is something of an oddball ballast so you'll need to go to an electrical or lighting supply store. A general hardware store won't have this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here