Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFCI 20-amp bathroom electrical outlet

Posted by tnsue (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 13, 11 at 22:34

I'm comparing the specs of three different 20-amp GFCI replacement electrical outlets for our bathrooms.

The NEMA configuration for
(A)(P&S/Legrand $27/3) is 5-15R,
(B)(Cooper $21/3) is 5-20
(C)(P&S/Legrand $42/3)is 5-20R
Does it matter which of those 3 I install? They're all 20-AMP so I don't understand the "5-15" type numbers.

The Grades are: (A) Residential (B & C) Commercial

The rest of the differences aren't important, although two of them are made from Nylon instead of Plastic and I think Nylon would be more durable, am I correct?

Item (A) is $20 cheaper than (C) and that really matters right now, unless a 5-15R isn't as safe as a 5-20R. Thanks for your help! Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFCI 20-amp bathroom electrical outlet

See if you can't find a more expensive GFCI. I pay about $10 for my lighted Levitons.

o
RE: GFCI 20-amp bathroom electrical outlet

The Nema numbers go like this:

(L)(LEG CONFIGURATION)-(AMPERAGE)(TYPE)

The leading "L" if present means locking.
The next number indicates the voltage/leg configuration.
5 is single phase 120V.
15 means 15 amps
20 means 20 amps

R - Receptacle (a female thing that is mounted to the junction box)
P - Plug (the male one on a cord).
S - Socket (a female one on the end of a cord, think of the non-plug end of an extension cord).

Any of the 5-15R or 5-20R pin configurations will be fine. You can legitimately place a 5-15 on a 20A circuit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here