Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alan_s_thefirst

1 Ghz RG-6 - use where?

alan_s_thefirst
11 years ago

I happened to pick up a box of Belden RG-6 at a bargain price with some other stuff, and then noted it says "swept to 1ghz" as opposed to the current stuff which is 3 ghz.

Obviously I can't use it for satellite feeds, but I'm wondering if I should have used it for my runs out to the cable box (I'm updating the media wiring and people here bounce between satellite and cable, depending on the deals.)

I know that the rating only means the cable was tested to that frequency and may exceed it (especially with a higher-end cable) and many houses that are older are probably using older cable without issue.

Thoughts? I'm "over-wiring" the place for the future, I'm running a minimum of 2 RG6, 2 data and one tel to each room. I suppose if I ran one newer RG-6 and one run of the Belden I could probably get away with it, but, again if it's satellite, for HD you typically need 2 RG-6, right?

I know there's a lot of debate about what you need, but typically in new construction, we run 4 rg6 to the dish location. I've seen people run 5, apparently one for satellite radio, but I've never seen a permanent dish/aerial for one yet.

Comments (4)