Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground wire to tel demarc box

Posted by alan_s_thefirst (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 22:07

I've been doing some media wiring on a house that's a reno. Unfortunately they've already drywalled the upstairs, where the demarc currently is (the house is on a floodplain and was raised up on an added basement)

Completing it's become a bit urgent because owner's found a tenant and I have to get the tel ready to connect.

It's an older demarc box and I've told the owner the telco (BC Canada) may require a new box (although they often just put new innards in) but the biggie is, the current ground wire inside doesn't go anywhere - I verified this by a multimeter to the poco meter case adjacent, which I assume should be grounded.

I've run surface conduit to the demarc to the basement where the media panel is, for the tel service. Obviously I can't run ground in the same conduit but I'm just looking for the simplest way to get ground back to the panel. The house will be re-clad eventually, and the demarc etc can be moved/relocated, but I'm wondering if I can surface mount a ground wire - insulated, or uninsulated, to a point where I can get it into the basement, and to the panel. Where I am, apparently tel ground can be run to the ground bar in the panel, so I'd probably do the same.

If it was up to me, I'd run it in conduit for neatness and security's sake, but I don't think that's how he'll want to go.

I was figuring on metal or other clips, down the siding to the point of entry (and part of the cladding is metal.)

I know the code's probably different in the US, but I suspect what passes there will pass here.

If I can, I guess I could cable tie the ground to the PVC conduit down to the point of entry, or further down if I can locate the service ground, and attach to the surface ground with an appropriate connector.

Simple and relocatable when they clad the place, would be best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground wire to tel demarc box

Telephone demarc must be at the service entrance with AC electric and any other incoming wire. First, this is required for human safety. Second, the connection of every service to earth must be as short as possible (ie 'less than 3 meters') to provide the only effective surge protection.

Every wire inside every incoming cable must have some short connection to the one earthing system. Either a connection made directly (ie cable, AC neutral wire). Or via a protector. But none of that is possible when utilities enter at different locations - not at the service entrance.

Well, you can kludge a solution. A utility dmeonstrates what is bad, what must exist, and the kludge solution:
http://www.duke-energy.com/indiana-business/products/power-quality/tech-tip-08.asp

o
RE: Ground wire to tel demarc box

Thanks. That link was informative. Fortunately the tel and power both come in together (drop from a pole) so they're not far apart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here