Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alan_s_thefirst

Ground wire to tel demarc box

alan_s_thefirst
11 years ago

I've been doing some media wiring on a house that's a reno. Unfortunately they've already drywalled the upstairs, where the demarc currently is (the house is on a floodplain and was raised up on an added basement)

Completing it's become a bit urgent because owner's found a tenant and I have to get the tel ready to connect.

It's an older demarc box and I've told the owner the telco (BC Canada) may require a new box (although they often just put new innards in) but the biggie is, the current ground wire inside doesn't go anywhere - I verified this by a multimeter to the poco meter case adjacent, which I assume should be grounded.

I've run surface conduit to the demarc to the basement where the media panel is, for the tel service. Obviously I can't run ground in the same conduit but I'm just looking for the simplest way to get ground back to the panel. The house will be re-clad eventually, and the demarc etc can be moved/relocated, but I'm wondering if I can surface mount a ground wire - insulated, or uninsulated, to a point where I can get it into the basement, and to the panel. Where I am, apparently tel ground can be run to the ground bar in the panel, so I'd probably do the same.

If it was up to me, I'd run it in conduit for neatness and security's sake, but I don't think that's how he'll want to go.

I was figuring on metal or other clips, down the siding to the point of entry (and part of the cladding is metal.)

I know the code's probably different in the US, but I suspect what passes there will pass here.

If I can, I guess I could cable tie the ground to the PVC conduit down to the point of entry, or further down if I can locate the service ground, and attach to the surface ground with an appropriate connector.

Simple and relocatable when they clad the place, would be best.

Comments (2)