Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petrie_gw

electric clothes dryer power draw and cable

petrie
17 years ago

I recently replaced the original spliced (!) cable that powered my electric clothes dryer. There is now a 50 cable-feet homerun of 10/3 from the 30 amp breaker to the outlet that powers the dryer. As I previously mentioned, when the dryer has been running on hot/cotton setting for an extended period of time, the two hot wires become slightly warm to the touch. They do not become hot or even very warm, they are just not as cold as everything else down in the basement. To help solve this mystery, I borrowed a clamp type multimeter today and measured the power draw on both phases. While running on "hot/cotton" one phase was drawing 24.5 amps at the breaker and the other was drawing about 24.8 amps. When running on "air/cool" one phase was showing 0 while the other was showing 0.4 amp. I assume this means the dryer uses a 120v motor.

From what I understand, it is dangerous and illegal to run a circuit at over 80% of its rated capacity. So am I correct in saying that this 30 amp circuit is overloaded? 80% of 30 amps is 24 amps. Yet my circuit is drawing almost 25 amps at the breaker.

Do I need to replace the 10/3 wire with 8/3 to minimize the loss? Do I need to have my dryer inspected to see why it's drawing more than 22 amps?

Comments (6)