Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which of these is less costly?

Posted by Barbarav (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 21:41

We are in the process of moving our kitchen to the opposite end from where it is now. There are 2 existing 220 lines. One where the range was and the other in the ceiling of the basement, right below and left of the new island.
The panel box is in the far left corner in the basement, next to where I want to put the wall oven. The floor joists run parallel to the windows. My question is will it be easier and less costly to put the cooktop or the sink and dishwasher in the new island? Is it a big deal to run the plumbing through the joists to get it to the island? Thanks for any help you can give me. And here is a picture. I hope it helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which of these is less costly?

If you can get to everything from underneath, it's no big thing to relocated the electrical lines. As for moving the plumbing lines, you'd better ask in the plumbing forum, but I don't know why that would be a problem.

Note, with all this renovation, you probably need to bring the kitchen up to code: required small appliance circuits, GFCI protection, etc....

o

Hi Ronnatalie, there's a problem getting to it from below. The ceilings downstairs are a finished knotty cypress and I'd prefer they not be cut into. We are redoing the floors as part of this reno and thought we could get to things by cutting into the plywood (hard enough since there are 2layers of 1/2" plywood. Also, I was thinking that because there's a 220 line in the ceiling that was used for power tools right below the island, I was hoping it could be pulled up through the floor. And because the new wall oven is right over the panel box downstairs, it would be fairly easy to thread it through the ceiling. Am I simplifying it too much? Is it harder than it seems? And will this be expensive to carry out?
Also, you're right, there are no GFCI circuits in the kitchen. Are there different ways to install these? It seems to me I had one of these in a bathroom in another house and when it tripped I had the hardest time figuring out how to reset it. Thanks

o

An electrician can tell you how much of the ceiling might need to be cut up or of the wires could be pulled from other positions.

The usual way of doing GFCIs in kitchens is to use a couple of GFCI receptacles (a GFCI receptacle can protected other receptacles connected to it).

Back in the early days of the GFCI requirements, the code allowed all the places that needed GFCI protection then (bathroom, outside receptacles, etc...) to be chained together on a single GFCI which meant typically if it tripped you had to find it (typically in a bathroom somewhere).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here