Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light Bulb Equivalents

Posted by fiesta (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 21:17

I have a makeup mirror candleabra base incandescent lightbulb that blew today. It is 120v 30w. My stupid question: Is a bulb that is 130v 25w the same thing?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light Bulb Equivalents

Yes, but not quite as bright.

o

The 25 Watt rating makes it a little less bright, and the 130 volt rating adds to the output reduction. The new bulb will actually use about 21 watts when operated on 120 volts.

Light output is not proportional to the power use, it actually is lower. Your light output will drop by at least one-third, probably more, with the 25w 130v bulb.

o

Sorry, I missed the 25 watt part! I just thought the question was about the voltages. My bad. ( what they really need is a 100v 25w to get the same output ;).

o

what about going to 40w? try your supply house. i have an intermediate base from the hd, but you said candleabre base

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here