Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
timer switch for bathroom, does which watts to choose matter?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 21:16

We just bought a house. We'll have the exhaust fans in the bathrooms (~50 sq ft) replaced to Panasonic 80CFM ones, and controlled by timer switch (10min-20min-30min-60min). I saw Leviton timer switch has 500W, 600W, 1000W, and 1800W with neutral required or not required. Is 500W with neutral not required the right one to choose or 1800W, 20Amp, with neutral required is fine? I am thinking of putting GFCI, timer switch, and light dimmer control on one place.

Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: timer switch for bathroom, does which watts to choose matter?

The first question is whether neutral is present in the box you want to install this timer switch. If not, you'll need to get a timer that doesn't require a neutral (these will be either mechanical ticking clockworks or they'll have an internal battery to power the timer).

Even 500W will be plenty to power the fan motor. The important thing to realize is all those wattages however are typically for resistive (incandescent lighting and heaters). You need to look at the seperate motor rating. If you have a netural wire, any of the EI200 timers will be fine (the sub code are all just different colors, etc..). If you don't have a neutral, you'll need one of the FD spring wound timers.

o
RE: timer switch for bathroom, does which watts to choose matter?

Thank you very much for your help, ronnatalie. Now I came up with new questions. Please refer to my new post. I think I need a timer switch with neutral required. But many reviews complained on the loud buzzing sound of the 1800W 10-20-30-60min Levinton timer after using it for 3 months to 3 years. Is there any timer switch you could recommend? gfci outlets, timer switch and optional dimmer would be on one plate.

The exhaust fan would be Panasonic FV-08VQ for a bathroom of about 50 sq ft with 22" square skylight that can be manually opened.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here