Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Undercabinet LED lights

Posted by jscozz (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 21:11

It has been a couple years since I looked into this... but I am now ready to buy and install mine. Just looking for some info on the top 2-3 models of under-cabinet, low voltage LED lighting. My requirements are:

1) 2700 color temp
2) Low voltage (ie. transformer located remotely)
3) Dimmable (ie. by dimming AC supply side)
4) Strips or fixtures that give uniform, even light on counter below. I am open to fixtures bought in needed sizes, or strip type lighting that can be cut to size and snapped in place.

I'd appreciate any input from people who have recently installed LED under cabinet lighting... and even pictures if possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Undercabinet LED lights

I installed some LED under cabinet lights when I did my kitchen remodel last year. I was doing a classic kitchen remodel that was in line with my 1912 bungalow. I didn't want the typical florescent crap and I looked around for some LED under counter lights. I went with a source I found on the internet here: http://www.environmentallights.com/EnvironmentalLights-Premium_C386.aspx

I was very happy with the final results and I was able to do all of my under cab lights for a total of about 50 watts. The LED bars I went with I think were 3 watts per foot and all of the length together was less than 50 watts.

My electrician had not installed LED under cab lights before and was surprised when the whole thing was run off of one transformer. I went with a 100 Watt dimmable transformer just to give me some overhead. I prefer these lights over my overhead that i use them a majority of the time.

The ones linked above an not be cut to size but you can link together the segments to get lengths close to what you need. I liked these as the brackets allow you to adjust the angle so you can do direct or reflected from your back splash.

I don't have any pictures. I can tr and take some and post a link here

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Environmental Lights

o
RE: Undercabinet LED lights

We are happy with our Kichler undershelf LED lights, routed into thick shelves (fir veneer over MDF) so they are invisible at eye level. I'll try to post a picture. These Kichler lights require a transformer, which is mounted in the cabinet under the sink. They come in different lengths, and can be installed in series, as I understand it. This picture isn't too pretty (except for DH), but shows how these are used in our kitchen as task lights, or as night lights when we don't want to leave the kitchen in darkness but want to reduce electricity use.
Lynn

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here