Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmum_gw

Splice In Middle of Wire instead of Piggyback

grandmum
10 years ago

Someone tapped into my furnace circuit for a lone outlet in another room. I would like to remove this outlet and truly make the circuit dedicated to the furance and the lampholder above it.

Power comes into a junction box with lampholder before furnace.The lampholder is connected with 2 wires under each screw.

One set of wires under lamp screws goes to the outlet and the other is actually spliced in the middle of the wire and pass thru to the furnace.

14/2 comes into box which I will piggyback going to the lampholder and to the furnace. There would be 3 #14 under red wire nut then.

Is this an acceptable fix?

And what is this middle splice called and is it an acceptable practice?

Im assuming 2 wires under one screw is not permitted

Comments (7)

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Two wires under a screw isn't usually permitted (there may be times when it specfiically states on the device it is, there will be a pressure plate in that case rather than just a screw). Connections must be made inside a junction box (either one mounted for that purpose or to house a device such as a switch or receptacle, or one that is part of the furnace). You can not have wirenuts out in the open air. What we call it is an illegal connection.

If there is not a 15A breaker, you can't be tapping in with 14g wire at all. The red 76B wirenut can actually do anywhere between 2 and 5 14g wires.

• grandmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Thanks for reply, maybe I wasnt clear though. 14/2 comes into a junction box that has the lampholder on it.

No flying splices here.

The (gas) furnace circuit is 15A.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

grandmum, given the huge volume of issues you posted recently, it behooves you to bring in professionals to look over your premises.There may be some big issues that you have not recognized. And given that some others do not agree with my advice, there seems to be little point in my even trying.
    But NEC Article 422.12 requires your furnace to have it's own branch circuit. That would imply that the circuit in question would not supply additional loads unless the load is one of the stated exceptions in the code. The light is not one of those.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 17:06

• grandmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I would be better suited to not ask any further questions here and open my wallet instead.

And the previous poster is correct... it isnt up to code. The lampholder is directly above the furnace in an unfinished basement. There is also an outlet on the furnace switch box too... if I dont use it for a condensate pump, Im guessing that would be against code too.

• Stevie51
    10 years ago

That don't make any sense why anyone would want the overhead light connected to the furnace circuit. There been times when I would throw the furnace circuit breaker off to do maintenance on the furnace (replace blower belt, replace blower motor, replace fan limit switch, oil blower shaft) and would need the overhead light on to see.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    10 years ago

Grandmum,

Don't stop asking questions, it's the only way you can learn. Remember too that there are lots of people who "lurk" and while they never ask a question, benefit from the questions asked by others.

But it might not be a bad idea to have a pro look things over.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    10 years ago

If you use wirenuts in an accessible box to connect the wiring to the furnace, you could add a short pigtail to also connect in the lamp, and take out the line to the other outlet. It does not comply with current code that requires a dedicated circuit, but its not dangerous. However, it does seem that for maintenance you would want that convenient light powered from something other than the furnace circuit.

Bruce