Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Depth of Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Cable

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 21:01

Is it really 18" for single family dwelling? 12v landscape lighting cable.

This post was edited by mike_kaiser on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 22:22

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Depth of Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Cable

That is for 120v circuits

o

Don't keep me on the edge of my seat, what's the requirement for low voltage (12v) landscape lighting?

o

"Table 300.5 Minimum Cover Requirements, 0 to 600 volts, Nominal---"

Column 5

o

Look at the instructions for the installation of the low voltage system you are installing. You'll probably find that it is not deep at all, like maybe an inch, if that much.

o

I'm 99.9% certain there's nothing buried out there but now I have to wait for the utility locating service....heck if I'm slicing through somebody's fiber optic line.

o

It seems to me that low voltage lighting cable may not be buried at all. Your neighbor's fiber might be a foot through his yard, but more like 18" for the 'main' line.

My neighbor cut his own fiber when replacing a fence post. They ran it right next to the previous post he replaced, and he dug a 12" diameter hole for the new one. It wasn't that deep.

o

Low voltage line is not considered dangerous, so you just need to protect it from normal damage. I would bury it 18-24" just to avoid normal yard work, but you should also look at where you might put fence posts and deck posts, since they would require a much deeper hole. I've seen it run only a couple of inches deep in flower beds, but then you just hope the shovel digs it up before you cut it in half.

Everywhere I've lived they have one of the "miss utility" services you can call, and they are very quick to respond. Most of the time they come out in 24-48 hours.

Bruce

o

For those who don't have the code to read the reference BusDriver gave, it's 6" under normal lawn. Your onecall utility locator (I always liked Miss Utility as a name for this service, but even in the old C&P territory they're doing away with that name) won't find LV wiring. You're lucky if they find all the phone stuff, but you're sort of indemnified if you hit something they should have marked but didn't.

There should NOT be any 120V stuff direct buried less than 12" (and even that is only for GFCI protected small branch circuits).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here