Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to install a heavy vanity light

Posted by per08 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 20:43

I am installing a new vanity light. It has three bulbs. It is pretty heavy, about 6.5lb without bulb. I am afraid it is too heavy for a plastic electric box. I want to minimize the drywall damage. Right now I am thinking of three options:

1) mount the light onto the stud, dig a small hole in the drywall near the stud, and connect the wires inside the compartment of the light.

2) use the adjustable all-metal electric box: MB120ADJ
http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=MB120ADJ
It has a metal tab and can be mounted at the stud. It think it is pretty strong

3) mount the light onto the stud, and install a old work plastic electric box nearby for wire connection. The electric box can be covered by the light compartment.

Which is the best solution?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to install a heavy vanity light

6.5 pounds is not heavy. 65 pounds is heavy.

o

6.5 isn't comparatively heavy, but it may be more than a lot of old work mountings can handle on drywall. The plastic ones with more substantial flip out wings will fare better than the bendy tab metal things.

A toggle bolt or hitting the stud in addition isn't a bad idea.

o

6 lb is the limit for the old work plastic box. See the last sentence at the last page of

http://www.carlon.com/FAQs/FAQ-ZipBoxes.pdf

I plan to mount the light directly onto the stud without any box. Then I will not worry it would fall down someday. Is there any concern in terms of wiring?

o

The only concern would be if the fixture is rated as a junction box to allow connections to made within the fixture thus not requireing a junction box.
Does the fixture have knock out where a cable clamp can be installed? If not then a box may be required.

o

I don't think the fixture is rated as a junction box. It has no knock out. Can I use wire staples to secure the wire on the stud?

o

All connections MUST be made in a box. If the fixture is not rated as a box then you must install a box. The fixture can still be mounted to the wall for support.

o

I plan to use a metal pancake outlet box, which can be mounted at the face of 2x4 directly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here