Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragan322

Blew a fuse drilling past brick - now what?

Dragan322
9 years ago

I'm trying to add an outdoor electrical outlet box to the corner of my 1985-built ranch home. I chose a spot 7 inches from the electric meter that had me drilling into the mortar between brick on the outside and into what I believe is called the bearer (wood) that sits on top of the cinder block of my basement inside.

I could not get the two holes to line up to fish wiring through, although I did get a string through. There seems to be something in between the brick and bearer.

Because I didn't have a bit long enough to drill into whatever the barrier is, I took a long flathead screwdriver and began twisting it slowing and with pressure to try and get through whatever is blocking my way.

I got about 1/4" to 1/2" through from the outside when I heard what sounded like a faint pop inside, Sure enough, I shorted the fuse to our electric range. Following the 220 line from the breaker box, it comes nowhere near the hole I made. I am totally bewildered as to what I could have hit and what connection it has to the range.

There is no other wiring going from the breaker box to in between the bearer and brick. When I reset the breaker, the range works fine. Any ideas? And do I have a bigger problem now because maybe I exposed something electrical there? Suggestions?

Thanks
Dennis

Comment (1)