Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
measuring blower motor current

Posted by leeelson (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 19:53

I've noticed that my electricity consumption has increased recently and for various reasons I suspect an HVAC squirrel cage blower motor. Although it doesn't seem excessively hot, I want to find out if it's drawing more than the rated current. It has a shielded AC cable running to it. What is the best way to measure current? Can I use a clamp meter to do this or would it make more sense to do something like measure impedance with the power off? I don't want to do any dis-assembly and I do have some knowledge of electricity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: measuring blower motor current

A clamp meter will be extremely easy if you know how to use it.

I will say, a motor like this, even going bad, will not raise consumption that much that you'd notice it on your bill.

o

Note, that you have to isolate a single current carrying leg to use a clamp on meter. If you use it around both legs, you'll just read zero (unless you've got a ground fault).

I agree with Petey, if the motor is spinning and not getting hot, it's unlikely it's pulling noticable additional. Usually, they're current limited somehow (either internally or by the breaker they are on) that they'd stop before they get too much of a draw.

I'd be more suspect of the AC compressor itself or perhaps something else.

o
Cheap way.

Besides if the bill is skyrocketing, you probably have a noticable draw. Shut off the fan. Go look at how fast the dial is spinning on your meter. Turn on the fan, repeat.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. A little more background: there is no A/C use. Several fans manage internal and external air. The one I suspect typically runs 8 hours/day and *should* use about 6-7 KWH/day. I'm seeing about a 5-10% increase over my normal 18-19 KWH/day (total for the house- not exactly "skyrocketing"). The motor housing is not too hot to touch when the fan is running but its in the airstream. When the fan turns off, the housing gets pretty hot for awhile as it dissipates heat.

I could measure the daily consumption with and without using the fan but there are downsides to this (inaccurate, uncomfortable).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here