Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonoak

Hallway light wired to my condo

bostonoak
10 years ago

There are 3 condos in my part of the condo building.

There's a unit on the first floor, a unit on the second and a unit on the third floor (mine).

We have a hallway light on the first floor landing, a hallway light on the second floor landing and a hallway light on the 3rd floor landing.

Our breaker boxes are in the basement. Each condo has a box. There's also a Public box for hallway and basement lights.

I just discovered that the second floor hallway light is connected to my breaker box. When I turn the power off to my condo, the second floor hallway light goes off.

The condo building was built in the 1920s.

The present hallway lights were installed like 4 years ago. They replaced older ones.

I have two switches on my hallway landing. One switch controls my hallway light. The other switch controls the second floor hallway light.

The switch on the second floor hallway controls the light on the first floor.

The switch on the first floor turns on the light on the second floor (like mine).

As far as I know the problem with the second floor hallway light happened after the new light fixtures were installed.

Given what I have outlined, I wanted to know what are the possibilities in terms of where the problem could be.

Could it be with the wiring above the fixtures in the ceiling?

Could it also be with the wiring in the switches?

I know that I'm ultimately going to have to get an electrician but I just need to know what is the range of possibilities.

Below is a photo of my hallway light, just to give you an idea of how the place looks like.

This post was edited by stripedbass on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 19:16

Comments (4)