Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnc777

Outlet distance from hot tub

johnc777
10 years ago

I looked at a couple of sites and I'm still confused. How far does an outlet need to be from a hot tub? This is a general use outlet not one to power the tub (which is wired directly with a spa panel). The outlet will be GFI.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

If you're going to deal with electrical around vats of water that your loved ones (or others) are going to immerse themselves in, I suggest you familiarize yourself with Article 680 of the code. This is by and large ***NOT*** a sane DIY project.

I assume you mean RECEPTACLE. Outlet includes receptacles, lighting, etc...

Part of the issue depends on whether you're talking about inside or outside. Outside, the rules are the seame as the pool. You must be at least 6' away from the inside edge. You also must have at least one between 6-20'. All within 20' must be protected by GFCI.

Inside the 6' rule still applies, but the required receptacle must be between 6 and 10' and the zone requiring GFCI is 10' and less.

• johnc777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ronnatalie...

That's why I am askin to make sure I do it correctly. I do mean receptacle and the tub is outside. I saw 6' and 10' feet and must have missed the inside/outside part. We have a raised deck and the tub sits on a cement pad on the ground off the deck. There is a receptacle on the deck less than 20 ft from the tub but it would be nice to have one below the deck rather than having to walk up to plug in the weedwacker etc

Shouldn't all outside receptacles be GFI?

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Yes, if you read the part on SPAS it says outside ones follow the rules for outdoor pools. Inside ones have specific rules.

Yes all outdoor receptacles on dwellings must be GFCI (there's a tiny exception for certain inaccessible outlets). The pool/spa/fountain rules just reiterate that. There's some overlap here because not all spas/pools/etc... are installed in dwellings.

The requirement for one between 6-20 is to get a convenient place for people to plug things in that is not too close that it could fall into the pool but not so far away that people would be inclined to use extension cords (and especially one running to a non GFCI receptacle). The code abhors extension cords.

So in a nutshell:

None within 6'
    At least one between 6' and 20'.
    All within 20' with GFCI.

I've got a pool in my basement (it's one of those endless pools like you see Rowdy Gaines pimping on TV these days). I've carefully placed receptacles and lighting at the minimum distances as well as providing with all the other aspects of the code.

• jreagan_gw
    10 years ago

If you can get out of the spa and directly onto the concrete pad, don't forget that you need a bonding grid. Also section 680.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    10 years ago

Ron,

I was going to ask why 6' but I think I know the answer, 6' is the common length of power cords. That keeps electrical things out of the pool. Of course, if the circuit/receptacle is GFCI protected...what does it matter? Unless the GFCI fails....