Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a utility pipe for grounding of electric fence?

Posted by annie-lee (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 18:35

I was about to hammer in a 10' copper pole into one corner outsides of our house to be the grounding for my electric deer fence, but I noticed a near-by copper pipe (1/2")for propane gas which is burried 18" underground and about 100' from where I was to the gas tank. I was wondering whether I could save a few bucks and sweat by using this copper pipe for my electric fence's grounding? Although the pipe is only 18" underground, the 100 gallon propane tank must be at least 10' below the ground. Any thoughts and advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a utility pipe for grounding of electric fence?

I would not put any current on the line and just drive a ground rod/pipe. I doubt you would have an issue but sometimes you can get a reaction that can erode the pipe causing a leak. In this part of the country we get a lot of lightning strikes on our fences which also would not be good. A good ground rod or two and don't forget the lightning arrestors is what I recommend.

o

article 250.52(B)(1) specifically states you can not use a gas pipe as a grounding conductor.

"(B) Not Permitted for Use as Grounding Electrodes.
The following systems and materials shall not be used as
grounding electrodes:
(1) Metal underground gas piping systems"

o

Drive the ground rod.

BTW, I find that a steel fence post driver helps quite a bit when sinking a ground rod. Beats standing on a ladder with a sledge and a helper who's hoping you don't miss!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here