Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is the switch or the black wire not working?

Posted by chueh (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 18:34

I have installed two same ceiling fans in different rooms. One of them is working. The other fan/light is not.

The instruction says to connect (black wire from fan is motor; blue is light):

BLACK wire of one switch to BLACK wire of the fan
BLACK wire of another switch to the BLUE wire of the light
WHITE to WHITE
GREEN to GREEN

I don't have two black wires in the ceiling but only ONE. I also have a red wire. The instruction does not mention red wire at all. Thus, I connected:

BLACK wire of ceiling to BLUE wire of light
RED wire of ceiling to BLACK wire of fan
WHITE to WHITE
GREEN to GREEN

I did exactly the same figuration to the two ceiling fans, yet one of them is not working. I switched connecting back and forth several times:

The fan is working but not the light, when I used the connection mentioned above (The right switch of the double switch works for the fan).

The light is working but not the fan, when I used the connection below (The right switch of the double switch works for the light. It seems to me that only the right switch is working but not the left switch):

BLACK wire of ceiling to BLACK wire of fan
RED wire of ceiling to BLUE wire of light

Anyway, it does not matter which connection I did, there is only ONE working, either the fan or the light, but never both.

In conclusion, it seems to me that the RED wire is working, either connecting to the BLACK or BLUE wires of the fan/light, but never the BLACK wire. The right switch of the double switch box is working but never the left. Sometimes I could hear the left switch hum for 2 seconds and then completely silent without ever working. I forgot which wire was it when i heard the humming.

Please help to determine what's wrong?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is the switch or the black wire not working?

First, make sure the switch on the black wire has line voltage coming into it. Then check the voltage coming out.
If you have no voltmeter, and the incoming current comes from the same source as the other switch, try replacing the switch.
If you have back-stab wired switches, replace them, they're garbage. You could have a faulty, high resistance, internal connection and you couldn't see it.

o

You have one more step to do. Swap the red and black wires on the switch.

o

Sounds like the black wire is not connected at the switch. Open the switch box and check the connection on the switch that does nothing.

o

All good advices. voltage is coming thru. Everything is ok. I replaced the switch, and VOILA! Thank you all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here