Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size transformer do I need?

Posted by raljan (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 18:23

I have a Morris 70332 24V 2A door jamb ball switch and need to get a transformer. What specs do I look for?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size transformer do I need?

You need to match the transformer to the bell or chime, not to the switch. Most doorbells are 24Volts, but some require a bit more current than others.

o

Most door chimes are 16 volts. Older (much older) chimes might be 10 volts.

o

What are you planning to use this for? It's not a doorbell switch. Is it for an alarm system, or just a visitor announce thing?

o

Keep in mind if you plan to connect a doorbell to that switch unmodified, it may overheat. Most are not rated for constant use, but as long as the door is open, a "dingdong" doorbell will be energised. You'll hear "ding" but no "dong" until the door closes.

I learned this the hard way, it melted the doorbell a bit. My solution was to connect the bell to a relay, on the normally closed terminals. When the circuit was energised, the relay would open so the chime was really a pulse- very quick, but it was perfect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here