Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
subpanel inverted?

Posted by rob432 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 18:21

A simple question, I hope.

I am putting a subpanel about 25 feet from my main. I will be using a double 60 amp breaker at the main, then run 2-2-2-4 aluminum to my subpanel.

The feed wire is coming out of a crawlspace, then up to my subpanel. As I looked at how to route the wire (run it up to the top of the box to access the lugs, or from the bottom and bend the wires around to conform to the lugs and ground and nuetral bars), I wondered if I could just install the subpanel upside down. A 180 degree turn. That way my wires would go right up and easily access if my lugs were on the bottom.

Can this be done? If not, why, please.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: subpanel inverted?

With newer panels there is no top or bottom.
Most newer main breaker panels have a breaker that moves side-to-side so even those can be mounted with the main breaker at the bottom.

The issue is that breakers cannot be installed where "OFF" is in the up position and "ON" is in the down position. Side-to-side motion is fine.
This applies to the US. I don't think this is a code issue in Canada.

o

The rules say that when the handles are oriented vertically, ON shall be up.
As pointed out a panel with horizontal breakers can be put in either way.
The instructions will generally also tell you the allowable installation orientations.

Every house in the development I grew up in (as well as everyone else built by the same builder) had the old PUSHMATIC panels installed upside down ... the supposition as it saved a lot of money even back then on the service conductors being three feet shorter. Of course the breakers read "NO" when on.

o

I totally remember our panel saying "no" when I was a kid!

o

Thanks, guys.

Sorry, shoulda said I was in the US.

The box I have has the breakers laying horizontally.

I guess I will be OK with it "upside down".

Thanks again.

o

Was it a Levitt house?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here