Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hidden fixture in attic ceiling bypass

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 17:08

Not sure this will make sense without photos.

I have a single pole switch that does not control anything in my kitchen and could never figure out what it went too.

Later I found what looks like the top side of a fluorescent light fixture with a one rigid conduit going to it in the deadspace of a ceiling bypass above, (probably 40+ years old). At some point new cabinets were put in and the underside of this fixture is not accessible anymore from below.

I am guessing this switch controlled this abandoned fixture. I am also guessing the old fixture would be against code now(ie: wiring not accessible).

If indeed the switch sending power to this fixture, should I just disconnect the switch and snip and wirenut the power going to switch and forget about the fixture?

I wonder if this could be a hazard. Is this something I should address or leave the current configuration in place?

ANy ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hidden fixture in attic ceiling bypass

If you can get into the attic, the wiring is accessible.

You can disconnect the wiring or not as you wish.

If my wife was round, she'd have you rewiring that switch to new recessed lighting just so it does something...:)

o
RE: Hidden fixture in attic ceiling bypass

Thanks, I was thinking it would be considered unaccessible like a drywalled over junction box or something.

Its not on the surface of the attic, you have to remove insulation to gain access to the crevice (bypass) where the fixture is.

But I suppose many junction boxes are covered with insulation so.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here