Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Equipment Wiring

Posted by lleras (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 16:54

Bought a new jointer for my home shop and rather than re-wire the garage, I've decided I'm going to get a generator instead. I need a generator anyway for on-site work at other locations.

The instructions for the jointer call for an L6-20 plug but all the generators I've seen have L5-30 receptacles. Wondering if there would be any issues with me wiring an L5-30 on the jointer instead so that I can plug it into the generator. The jointer has only 3 wires. Manual says it runs 220V at max 18A... so I'd have 2 hots and a ground?

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Equipment Wiring

Yes, that's not going to work. An L5 is a 120V connection. An L6 is 240V. You need to find a generator that has a 240V out (typically an L14 receptacle is provided in these cases, this is 4 pin 120/240 configuration). Alternatively if you can find one with a 6-20 receptacle (looks like a regular house plug with one blade turned sideways) that will also work.

However, I can't tell you how annoyingly difficult that is going to be. You're going to need at least a 6000W generator and probably more. The starting current on that jointer is going to bog the generator down just at the time the jointer needs it the most and I've seen them never come up to speed in that kind of circumstance.

o
RE: Equipment Wiring

Thanks for the quick reply.

Okay, so I'm looking at this generator

http://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP10000E-Portable-Generator-Electric/dp/B0018C6BDE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1379193000&sr=8-11&keywords=portable+generator

Has a 14-50 receptacle. So if I buy a 14-50 plug and wire that to the jointer (which has a black, a green, and a white wire)... that would work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here