Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmum_gw

Fixing range hood wiring

grandmum
10 years ago

Someone connected NM cable to flex metal inside the wall behind my range and hood in order to connect an outlet for a microwave.

Seeing that my ground comes from metal connections, this outlet is ungrounded (although on a GFCI) and is hooked up with a flying splice (wirenuts and lots of electrical tape).

I got rid of the old microwave setup and I hooked up new range hood and can just get rid of the outlet now.Wokring from above in the attic I am hoping to undo the connection that buried in the wall and bring it into the cabinet if there is enough slack. .

That would be the easy way. If not,

What type of flexible metal cable do I need to get as I know BX and stuff with paper inside probably is not compliant?

also

If I need new cable/whip I would have to disconnect old stuff from outlet from stove below.

Would the whip be connected to the juction box with the same type of set screw connector that hooks to the knockout on the range hood?

and finally, where the whip enter the cabinet (before going into the hood), do I have to put any kind of strain relief or something on the cabinet?

.... your advice, suggestions and tips are much appreciated.

Comments (3)